Friday, June 27, 2008

Windows Mobile Device Center

For many years I was an avid Palm user (7 years, to be exact) and owner of at least 5 of those cool gadgets mostly because of an impressive screen resolution. Only when I found a handheld device running Windows with a decent screen, like the Dell Axim (this one is three years old) with an amazing 640 x 480 screen hard to find anywhere else, even today, I made the move. Windows Mobile, the OS that used to be called Windows CE and then PocketPC, is way more interesting and useful than the non-multitasking Palm OS. On the other hand, in Windows XP the synchronization process, usually linked to Outlook, is made through a kind of moody and always bland application called ActiveSync. In Windows Vista, ActiveSync is gone for good and replaced by Windows Mobile Device Center, a nicer, more useful, feature-rich application. Do I want to use ActiveSync again? Not if I can help it.

No comments: