Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Yes, you can run a lot of new (and old) software


In case you're wondering what I'm doing with VISTA (which, by the way, it's my primary tool as a consultant on a daily basis)... FYI I'm running all Office 2007 SP1 applications, except Visio, Office Visio 2003 Pro SP3, Visual Studio 2008 Pro and .NET Framework 3.5, IIS 7 (which I know is even greater than what I know of it so far), Adobe CS3 Web Premium suite (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, the fabulous Acrobat 8 Pro, etc), WS_FTP Pro 2007, CanonScan Toolbox 4.8 (for my scanner), Macromedia Freehand MX (2003), QuickTime player 7.4.5, Windows Media Player 11 and a bunch of "legacy" software. My favorite is the Random House Webster's English dictionary, version 1.0 (1992!). Also, one application I created in 2001 using VB 6.0 Pro (to make it run I just had to register a VB control). All of them without a hiccup and really fast for an "old" computer (2005) like mine. It's a computer designed for Windows XP (!)

...and I'm still using my 10-year old HP Deskjet 722C printer (for quick drafts), which Windows Vista took care of, drivers and all.

If you don't believe me of if you have any particular question, please write to me. Being there, done that.

Let the real day-to-day Vista users speak up!

No comments: