Thursday, July 3, 2008

Nice setup: PHP and MySQL with IIS7

Either it is easier in Vista, compared to XP, or I was just luckier this time (making open source software to work can be really awkward sometimes) installing PHP and MySQL. I just followed the complete instructions on how to create a Windows Vista powered web server using these extremely popular tools. However, I just want a developer box not a server box, so I did not open port 80 nor changed the priority of background services. I used my own directory paths, and installed MySQL selecting Detailed Configuration, Developer Machine, Multifunctional Database, and Decision Support (DSS)/OLAP. Other than that, I followed each step to the letter. Also, very important to install the MySQL Administrator that comes with a very nice GUI, unless you think that using the command line is cool... Now, you're all set to start fine tuning your skills and learning a bit more.

No comments: