Saturday, July 5, 2008

When it comes to software, nobody's perfect (2)


In this day and age of software designed with lots of usability, user-friendliness, a "rich user experience", etc. to come across a screen like this one makes you exclaim "what the h* is that?!". You might as well don't display anything if you don't tell the user what's happening. Windows Live OneCare team, this one is for you, I believe you can do better than that. I am currently on my "trial version" of Windows Live OneCare, "the always-on PC-care service from Microsoft. Working quietly in the background on your computer, OneCare protects against viruses, spyware, hackers, and other unwanted intruders." So does System Mechanic Professional, my favorite utility for Windows XP. I am waiting for a version that runs flawlessly in Vista and that doesn't give me the infamous rundll32.exe-related error message, that apparently is triggered by faulty software. My first days with Vista were disappointing because of this "mysterious" error that applies to many situations... In my particular case, the culprit was System Mechanic Professional. Solution? Just uninstall it. In spite of everything, I want to assign this post to the "Trivia" compartment.

No comments: